Artist Friend Joyce Eide

Sad news! Joyce Eide, age 87, passed away on December 13, 2017 after a long illness. She was born on September 21, 1930. Rest in peace, my good friend. She leaves an afterglow of smiles for us. Let the memory of Joyce be a happy one.

This is a repost from 8/10/2014 introducing Joyce and her art work .

In the late 1970s, I met artist Joyce Eide in the town of Lindos, located in the south-east of Rhodes Island. Lindos was famous for its white cubist houses packed tightly around winding cobblestone streets, and for its community of artists. I loved Joyce’s art work and we continued contact while we both lived in Greece, and then in California.  But we lost touch for many years. Luckily, I found Joyce on a Google search through Artexchange.com. Part of that write up is in this blog post. I’ve also posted a few of my favorite paintings, personal photos of the masks, colorful fused glass jewelry and a rich orange fused glass plate. Visit artexchange.com Joyce Eide to read her full resume and click on available art work at the end.

A few months ago in June, 2014 while on a ten day vacation in Kirkland, WA, I called Joyce to rekindle our friendship.  She was receptive to a visit and my son Jeff and I drove to her gallery home on Vashon Island, a short ferry boat ride from West Seattle. It seemed only yesterday that we had spent time together. That’s how it is with true lifelong friends! Granted we were both much older now, and Joyce, due to health problems, hasn’t been able to continue with her art work. Still the large gallery room was bright with natural light that showed every beautiful detail of her paintings, masks, ceramic pieces, fused glass jewelry and fused glass plates. It was a color burst of emotion and thought. And such a joy to spend time again with a dear friend!

FROM ARTEXCHANGE.COM

JoyceEide

I live on a small island in a large historical building, a former general store and post office built in 1910. A remodel of this building has produced a studio and gallery, now christened “The Old Dockton Store Gallery” where current works of mine and local artists are on display.

Artist Statement

The primary force of my professional life has been exploring new pathways in communicating experience through a wide variety of art forms, including children’s books, posters, packages, record album covers, illustrations for national magazines, and animation film backgrounds.

Reaction to my work has convinced me that spiritual longing, emotion and thought shaped and compressed into form evokes a universal response. My recent work in creating masks has the goal of creating symbols of the commonality of the human spirit, and the oneness of the human beings with the natural world.

A Favorite Framed Image – The Young, the Older and Purple Flowers

JOYCE EIDE - 28

JOYCE EIDE’S ARTWORK – A FEW FAVORITES

Advertisements

About C.E.Robinson

After years working in healthcare, I retired as a nurse practitioner to be a full time writer, co-author, and blogger. From the blog’s beginning in 2014, Before Sundown has been honored with awards, and blog tours. I’m ever grateful, and appreciative of dedicated worldwide followers who like, comment, share and tweet posts. I started the blog to connect with other bloggers, and in a way to learn more about writing. I also wanted to support other bloggers, friends and family by writing blog posts about them, their books, interests, professions and travels. The collections of sunsets/sunrises on the Welcome page came from bloggers all over the world. I wanted visitors to remember what made you smile Before Sundown. What better way then to offer breathtaking sunsets or sunrises? A monthly featured sunset continues. http://cerobinsonauthor.com
This entry was posted in Featured Friends, My Blog, My Entries and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Artist Friend Joyce Eide

1. megdekorne says:

Oh my ! What a fascinating artist … Beautiful , especially ” the young , the older with purple flower ” ..thank you Christine for this awesome introduction … Inspiring ! Xx

2. Melissa Elliott says:

I have lost track of Joyce Eide also. I knew her when she lived in La Jolla Ca. and was an occational member of a drawing group in our back yard. She left some of her drawings and work with me. I just came accross a group of sketches of hers and would like to renew to renew a friendship with her. My name is Melissa Smith Elliott . I still live in the same place. Please forward her our email at drmaxelliott@san.rr.com. I thank you for blog about Joyce!!!

• C.E.Robinson says:

Melissa, how wonderful that you found out about Joyce Eide on my blog site. Yes, I will forward your e-mail to her. I did visit her a few years ago and she does have a full gallery of her beautiful works, including masks and jewelry. Thanks so much for your visit and comment. Elizabeth

• C.E.Robinson says:

Melissa, very sad news that Joyce passed away on December 13, 2017. I did not hear from her and believe her illness progressed and she was unable to contact me. So sad. How nice that you have some of her drawings and work to keep in memory of her. Christine

3. Elizabeth says:

Dear Christine, a dear friend, artist Vivian Blackstone, is working on a showing of Joyce Eide’s work but has lost contact with her since her gallery on Vashon Island is no longer there. Would it be possible for you to connect us? Please give her my email if you would be so kind.
    Elizabeth

• C.E.Robinson says:

Thank you so much Elizabeth for your visit and comment. Happy that you found Joyce Eide’s blog post on Before Sundown. I have sent Joyce your e-mail, and that you and Vivian are working on a showing of her art works. I’ve not yet received a response that she received it. It may not be a working e-mail. I’ll let you know as soon as I hear word from her. I’ll send you an e-mail so you have have my contact information. 💛 Christine

• C.E.Robinson says:

Elizabeth, now we know why Joyce did not respond to my e-mail. She passed away on December 13, 2017. I reblogged this post in memory of her. Christine

4. C.E.Robinson says:

Reblogged this on Before Sundown and commented:

In memory of a good friend, artist Joyce Eide.

• Vivian Blackstone says:

Thank you so much, I wanted to reconnect with her and Shawn, I heard they sold the house on Vashon, and came to La Jolla/S D, but were not reconnecting with old friends. She was one of the most talented artist I knew, and have collected her art, since we met in 1963.Vivian Blackstone.

• C.E.Robinson says:

Vivian, thank you for your comment. It was the same for me when she moved here to SD. I made contact with her, but then there was no response with subsequent calls. My guess her condition worsened and she lacked the strength or the want to see anyone. It is so sad. I have a book she illustrated and a demijohn that she painted for me when we met in Greece. I treasure her art work. 💘 Christine

5. GP Cox says:

So sorry to hear of your loss. I wish I had better words to say, Christine.

6. Elizabeth says:

Thank you for letting me know, Christine. I will pass the word on to my friend, Vivian. This is sad news, but I know Joyce lives on in her art.

• C.E.Robinson says:

You are very welcome, Elizabeth. Yes, Joyce will live on in her art. I feel sad there were so many years that she could not continue with it. She lived for her art! So sad! Christine

7. Jack Eason says:

Reblogged this on Have We Had Help? and commented:
    A little something from our Christine 😉 xx

Liked by 2 people

8. Léa says:

We are indeed fortunate when such special people grace our lives with theirs. I had such a friend, also an artist, Carol Gilbert Wagner. Alas, Carol died six months before I left America to begin my ex-pat life. When Carol passed, she had been planning a show. It didn’t take much convincing to rally some friends and make that show happen. It was a memorial show and Carol was there in each piece and all who loved her.

• C.E.Robinson says:

Lea, thank you so much for your comment and remembrance of your artist friend Carol. Going ahead with her show, a loving tribute to her. Unfortunately, Joyce’s art work will never be shown unless her family chooses to do so. Her last living years difficult and her contact with friends minimal to nothing. So sad, there were many friends who will miss her. 📚🌷Christine

• Léa says:

Usually the quiet one, hiding in the corner, I can be a persuasive and nasty b…h when necessary. Once persuaded, the art show was a great memorial. We also had a bit of a gathering in a local park with the central feature, one of her more famous works… I do need to contact her son and see if he will permit my using photos Carol had me take years ago. It would be lovely to wander through her work and introduce others to it. Amazing and actually “politically’ relevant! 🙂

• C.E.Robinson says:

Lea, good to know you were persistent and the art show was a success. I would pursue contacting the son to use her photographs. Wish I could do the same with Joyce’s son who somehow disappeared. 📚 Christine

• Léa says:

Christine, Carol’s son and I connected on LinkedIn several years ago while he was still living in Tashkent. I see him ocassionally, but I’m afraid I don’t get on there often. 😦 Bisous, Léa

Too bad! 😘 back! 😊 Christine

9. Léa says:

I can send Rowan a message anytime and leave him my email which is much quicker. He used to have my email address but it has changed. He would get back to me at some point. Carol’s work would be so relevant now! 🙂 I can just hear her! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

10. Christine, this post is a real gem. I’m glad I stumbled upon it. What a lovely tribute to Joyce. Hugs on the wing.

• C.E.Robinson says:

Thanks so much, Teagan. I know how much you like color! Happy you liked Joyce’s art work! 📚 Christine

Liked by 1 person

• You’re kind to remember that, Christine. LOL, it’s true — If I wear all neutrals or especially black… I just don’t even feel well. (I used to like black for an occasional color, but it’s all I see around DC… Ugh… I call it “DC Drab!” They think “tan” qualifies as adding a pop of color… More hugs!

• C.E.Robinson says:

(smiles) “DC Drab” I imagine it kinda fits the people. To say you don’t fit there has more than a “color” meaning! 😏 Know you’d rather be elsewhere! 🙄 Hugs back! 💛

• Elizabeth says:

Very interesting! Speaking from experience in DC and other places where people are, in a sense, walled off from Life, it strikes me that people do this whenever there’s a high degree of fear present. There may be other elements as well, but fear is high on the list, whether they realize it or not, and whether they admit it or not.

I agree, Elizabeth! Add a high degree of anxiety too. 🙄

• C.E.Robinson says:

Elizabeth, I responded to your comment on Teagan’s post. Your comment to Teagan seemed to end up here. Another WordPress mystery! Christine

11. dweezer19 says:

How bright and wonderful!